The Johannesburg Gymnastics Centre (JGC) was established in 1993 and is officially registered as a non-profit company. JGC is currently considered the leading Women’s Artistic Gymnastics Club (we also cater for boys) in South Africa.
Since inception, JGC Gymnastics has produced:
* 5 Olympic-Qualified gymnasts
* 28 Female Protea/Springbok gymnasts who have all represented their country at various International Competitions.
* 14 National Champions in the Senior Olympic section, since 1993.
JGC’s main branch is situated in Newlands, where our gymnasts hail from areas such as Rosebank, Illovo, Randburg, Linden, Parktown, Westbury, Triomf, Northcliff, Quellerina, Greymont, Roodepoort, Soweto, Krugersdorp, Eldorado Park and Florida.
We also have a sister branch in Randburg. Both of these clubs have shown fantastic growth since opening in 1993 and September 2016, respectively.
Currently, 60-70% of the South African National Gymnastics team originates from JGC and train under the watchful eyes of former Protea gymnast, Ilse Roets-Pelser and assistant coaches, Candice Cronje, Anke Badenhorst and Leeland Christian.
Our organization prides itself in that we welcome young boys and girls with a dream and turn them into men and women with vision.
Our boys’ coaches are highly qualified and very dedicated to these young lads, which shows in our recent success at Gauteng Central Champs.
One of proudest moments was when our very own JGC gymnasts, Caitlin Rooskrantz and Naveen Daries, represented South Africa at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics! They both had a world class competition and even attained a personal best under such immense pressure with the world watching.
Naveen was nominated & won, as The 2021 Emerging Athlete of the Year by GSPORT4GIRLS, after following in Caitlin’s footsteps when she won this award in 2020.
Did you know that another two of our gymnasts, Ashleigh Heldsinger Claudia Cummins qualified for The LONDON 2012 & RIO 2016 Olympics respectively?
Another of our many highlights was when we won the Jack Cheetham / Murray & Roberts award in 2012. Various clubs of all sporting disciplines countrywide apply for this prestigious award and we are extremely fortunate and honoured to have captured their attention.
The Gauteng Sports Coach of the Year is awarded annually by the Gauteng Department of Sport to the coach of the year, relating to all sport disciplines. For the first time ever it was awarded to a gymnastics coach and we are honoured to have had Head Coach and owner, Ilse Pelser, accept this prestigious award in 2012.
Other accolades and worthy mentions include:
* SAGF (South African Gymnastics Federation) awards, where JGC dominated the awards for most of the years between 2012 -2020.
* Senior Olympic Gymnast of the Year award on several occasions.
* International participation, where we represented our country and brought back gold, silver and bronze medals from a far as Serbia, Wales, USA, Scotland, Korea, Isle of Man, Slovenia, Belgium, Hungary and Germany to name but a few.
* Kirsten Beckett’s Senior Olympic Gymnast of the Year title for two years in a row as well as All Around title at the All Africa Games in the Congo.
* Caitlin Rooskrantz scoring a magnificent 13.75 on uneven bars - the highest from any South African gymnast to date – and placing second in the team competition in Belgium alongside fellow top junior, Naveen Daries.
* Travelling to Orlando, USA to compete in the USAIGC Club World Championships in 2014 & 2016.
* Winning the Central Gauteng Coach of the Year award in every possible section, for three years in a row.
* Caitlin winning GOLD on bars at the Hungary World cup in 2019& going on to qualify outright for the Olympic Games at the Stuttgart World Champs in 2019.
JGC coaches won the CENTRAL GAUTENG COACH OF THE YEAR AWARDS FOR FOUR CONSECUTIVE YEARS! Proof that we have the best coaches in the country - right here at our top-class facility!
The Benefit of Gymnastics
* Foundation for all other sports
* Gross motor development
* Developing strength and flexibility
* Instilling discipline
* Confidence building
* Social skills development
* Honing balance and coordination
High Performance Gymnastics: Our HP squad consists of forty gymnasts (both senior and junior), all of whom are in preparation for future International Competitions and Olympic participation.
Tumbling Classes: JGC offers tumbling as a discipline and these classes are simply brilliant. Tumbling forms a very strong basic foundation for artistic gymnastics and our head coach in this arena, Leeland Christian, closely supervises the Saturday classes.
Fees are charged per month & vary depending on the amount of hours your child trains & start at only R600 per month for one and a half to three hours per week, which is what most beginner gymnasts do.